Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Some reflections about Work





work (wûrk)

n.

1. Physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something.

2.

a. A job; employment: looking for work.

b. A trade, profession, or other means of livelihood.



In my “previous” life, did as everybody else: exchanged my time for (what I thought to be) the company that paid the best wage. I enjoyed my job so I didn’t think a second of doing something else. Until 
it hit me: and how valuable is My time for Me? What do I really want to do? So precious little time and still so much to do…

So, now living aboard, a lot of things gain a different perspective… Now, My time is mine. Period. A great feeling and experience by the way. Yes, it needed downsizing, downscaling etc etc, but you really don’t need all that stuff anyway. Re-designed lifestyle, simple, in harmony, with yourself, your surroundings and nature. Stress levels reduced to a healthy minimum.

Some people find it difficult to accept this life style and so:  “ You are much too young to stop working..”,  “You became a lazy bum, doing nothing”, “You have to produce something, contribute to society”, “I have a mortgage to pay, three kids in college, and need to change my car next month, so I can’t do what you  are doing”

This is what we hear a lot. And the funny thing is: I have never worked so hard in my life (see definition # 1 above mentioned)… but by the end of the month no pay check.. and that is ok (more on the financial stuff in another post). Having a job (work) and having time for yourself are closely related (the 24 hours you have in a day, at least 8 you have sold to the company you work for, the other 16 hours are yours).. “Free time”, but of course nobody is really free… I have to admit that I can’t separate work from leisure on board…We don’t  have the TGIF thing going… We don’t drag ourselves from one weekend to the other… Now, after a days’ work of for instance changing the oil and fuel filters of both motors or doing maintenance on the props…. I really feel that it has been hard working day…. We also get the frustrations of stuff breaking, too much wind, or no wind, too much rain. Just the day to day things… but… we are free to choose, free on how to enjoy a great day (reading, swimming, cleaning…) and obviously, the consequence of the choice is directly ours as well.

What is really important? Social Status, the biggest flat screen TV ever (on one end of the spectrum) or Freedom of Choice, re-designed (healthy) lifestyle (on the other)… You still work, no matter where you are…

 Curious to know what you think.  Looking forward to hear from you.

Take care and all the best


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback about what is here and what is not here. We want your opinion and inspirational comments.